Sunday, July 17, 2011

Groovy to Safari

I found the neatest little bookcase while thrifting at the Catholic Thrift Shop downtown.  I could tell someone had definitely put some time and creativity into its paint job....
  Groovy Baby!!!  LOL
 I had a feeling it was going to take more than a quick paint job to cover up the 'shrooms....so I borrowed my mom's sander.  That's right.....me......with a power tool.  Be afraid, be VERY afraid.
 See - can't you tell I was VERY afraid!  Bahahahaa.....
 And let me tell you.....it took a LOT of sanding to erase those groovy mushrooms...

It then took several coats of primer, a little more sanding and cleaning, and a few coats of my trusy heirloom white spray paint.  I also planned to cover the backs of the shelves with fabric because that back piece is just an old piece of particle board and is pretty rough.  I didn't have enough of the fabric left over from the cushion of bench that I redid.....so I decided to go a little more wild in the spirit of the shrooms....and ended up with this:
Ggrrr BABY!  LOL, actually just a peaceful giraffe, my Fav. 

 Here is a close up of the distressing that I like to do....to go along nicely with the imperfections that are already in the piece.  (It's SO much less stressful to not have to be perfect)

Isn't she purrrrrdy??!!  I don't know where I'm going to put it.....might even end up selling it - but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out - and glad to have it done!  :)

I got a REALLY good start on several more projects today....which makes me HAPPY.  Probably won't have another chance to work on them again until next Sunday - but that's okay.  Busy week ahead!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment