Sunday, July 17, 2011

Groovy to Safari

I found the neatest little bookcase while thrifting at the Catholic Thrift Shop downtown.  I could tell someone had definitely put some time and creativity into its paint job....
  Groovy Baby!!!  LOL
 I had a feeling it was going to take more than a quick paint job to cover up the 'shrooms....so I borrowed my mom's sander.  That's right.....me......with a power tool.  Be afraid, be VERY afraid.
 See - can't you tell I was VERY afraid!  Bahahahaa.....
 And let me tell you.....it took a LOT of sanding to erase those groovy mushrooms...

It then took several coats of primer, a little more sanding and cleaning, and a few coats of my trusy heirloom white spray paint.  I also planned to cover the backs of the shelves with fabric because that back piece is just an old piece of particle board and is pretty rough.  I didn't have enough of the fabric left over from the cushion of bench that I redid.....so I decided to go a little more wild in the spirit of the shrooms....and ended up with this:
Ggrrr BABY!  LOL, actually just a peaceful giraffe, my Fav. 

 Here is a close up of the distressing that I like to do....to go along nicely with the imperfections that are already in the piece.  (It's SO much less stressful to not have to be perfect)

Isn't she purrrrrdy??!!  I don't know where I'm going to put it.....might even end up selling it - but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out - and glad to have it done!  :)

I got a REALLY good start on several more projects today....which makes me HAPPY.  Probably won't have another chance to work on them again until next Sunday - but that's okay.  Busy week ahead!  :)

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Lamp ReFAB

Several months ago.....I bought these two lamps at the thrift store.  They were maroon with brass accents....(sorry, no before pic)....just picture the ugly out-datedness....  I painted them this dark chocolate brown right away....and then they sat in my garage....for months.

I finally got them back out this evening to do the jute wrap treatment that I've been wanting to do.  It went pretty well....only a couple sore fingers from hot glue! 

Then, it was time for the lamp shades.  I had bough these two cute ones on sale:
Unfortunely, they do not fit on this large lamp.  I'm not very experienced with lamps.....and didn't realize there are different kind of shades for different kinds of lamps??  Anyway, I had this other one that I had picked up at a thrift store, and it fit perfectly!  So....on to making it pretty instead of ugly!

TaDa! 

I knew I wanted to do some sort of muslin fabric treatment, and you know how I don't love to sew....so this is what I came up with!  I gathered it around the top first, and glued every couple inches with hot glue.  Then I did the same to the bottom, and it ended up "laying" very nicely! 

I've also made these little rosettes, but I'm not sure what to do with them yet.  I could attach some to the base, or to the shade....?

Oh, and here is my model who always loves to takes pics with finished products!  :)

I still have that other lamp to do - but might do it a little differently.  Oh, and sorry for the crappy lighting on these indoor pictures....it was pouring down rain outside last night when I was doing this project!  :)

I've got LOTS more new projects that I'm either in the process of working on....or chomping at the bit to get started on....finding the time has definitely been the challenge.  We've been SUPER busy at the shop, and for that we are very grateful.  Of course our kids' schedules haven't let up a whole lot.  And I also have a new and exciting venture in the works that I can't WAIT to tell you all about....hopefully in a couple more weeks!!!  :)