Sunday, May 15, 2011

Make It NEW - Decor

I had a GREAT weekend.  After work on Friday, my kids and I headed down to my mom's in Marion, KS....and I of course packed about 1/3 of my craft room!  :)  We unpacked and talked about fun craft and jewelry ideas Friday night.  Went "thrifting" Saturday morning.  Threw a surprise baby shower for my sister Saturday afternoon.  Worked on some jewelry and projects Saturday evening.  Went to karaoke Saturday night.  Then did MORE crafting Sunday!  Today I'm going to tell you about just ONE of the many fun projects we worked on....

Did I ever show you THIS little guy??


Well, this has been in my family for a while.  I remember it growing up at my Dad and step-mom's house.  Then she let me have it as part of my old Americana decor above my kitchen cabinets.  After I re-did my kitchen....my kids started using it for a stool to sit on at the coffee table.  They were kind of hard on it...and my daughter also tried to "paint" it with that special paint that only shows up on the special paper....hence the clumps: 
My husband banned the children from sitting on it when the nails starting popping up recently:

....so I decided to "Make It NEW!"

I sanded it down a little, hammered down the nails, and painted it one of my favorite colors....heirloom white.   It was already looking much better....but it needed a little sumthin' sumthin'.  SO....we busted out the cricut machine, brown vinyl, and a sanding block.  I cut out the numbers from my Wall Decor and More cartridge in brown vinyl and applied it to the little stool.  Then I roughed up the edges with the sanding block because that's what all the cool kids do now (it really does add a lot of character).

And here it is!  :)

They can practice their numbers:

Look at those perfectly imperfect edges!  Love that!!
So....what do you think???  PLEASE, please, please leave a comment so I can have some feedback!  I would REALLY appreciate it!  And don't worry....I'll be posting the rest of our projects from this weekend soon!  ;)

Oh, and if you have an old piece of furniture that you would like to Make It NEW....I hope I've inspired you!  What?  You don't think you can do that kind of stuff?  Well.....I can help!  I'd LOVE to give you an estimate!  I really like $10 projects....so chances are - that's all it would cost you!  :)

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I stalk you but u just make "ugly-ish" stuff SO cute!!!!! I will never throw out any furniture without consulting you first. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...that's AWESOME Amber! I don't feel like I have stalkers...but it is kind of weird sometimes when I look at my stats and see a LOT of people have read my blog....but I hardly get ANY comments. So, I figured I'll just ask for some this time! I LOVE looking at other people's blogs too....so I'm totally a stalker as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the bench. It is really cute! Great job! I tried to leave a comment on your last post about the book but it didn't work. Do you read Kristen's blog? She is awesome. I now have to add another blog to my list to follow. You need to put a blogroll on yours to share the ones you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Summer...sorry your last comment didn't show up. That post actually "disappeared" for a couple days. I heard that a lot of people had posts disappear from blogger last week - but it looks like they fixed the problem. I don't know Kristen...but I'd love to read her blog if you could give me the link. I'm new to blogging...so I haven't even looked into how to do the blogroll - but you're right...I need to get it figured out and added! :)

    ReplyDelete