Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wife/Mom/Business....what about ME?

Wife - We all know what that means...taking care of the house and the HUSBAND, pay the bills, cook the meals, do the laundry, and so on....   Some days I'm happy to do it all, some days it's more of a struggle.  But what if I just don't feel like it today?  Not a big deal I guess - no one else is going to do it, so "IT" will be there waiting patiently for me tomorrow.  For those of you fortunate ones that have husbands who help out with the traditional "wife" duties (more than once a month or without being asked) - consider yourself Lucky!  Please don't get me wrong, I love my husband and he works very hard to provide for us.  But there are definitely days when I wonder....What about ME?

Mom - This is by far my favorite, but also my most draining "title."  I LOVE being a Mom, and I LOVE my two amazing children.  Does that mean that I'm not ever upset with them, or want to scream at them, or go in my room just to get away from it all??  NOPE.  It doesn't take much to wipe away all those stressful times though.  My 3-year old daughter has started spontaneously telling me she loves me.  She's never been one to express herself verbally - but she's really becoming a wonderful young lady.  My six year old son has no problem expressing each and every emotion he's feeling to the full extent.  It's fun and exciting when they're good, but also stressful and crazy when they're bad.  He's a first grader now, and I've seen him grow and learn SO much this year.  The nightly reading folder, flash cards, library book and spelling words are time consuming....but they are so worth it to see him doing such a good job.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't worry about their safety, and what they'll someday become.  I'm not doing this whole parenting thing perfectly, but I feel okay knowing that no one else is either - and that my kids are pretty darn GREAT.  What will happen when my kids are grown, and I'm not running them around all over anymore?  What about ME?

Business - James and I just celebrated our 3-year Anniversary of owning Budreau Muffler, Automotive and Tow.  At times I can't believe it's been three years, and other times it feels more like 10!  I'll be honest, it is sometimes difficult working with my spouse - but we haven't killed each other, yet.  The business is actually going quite well.  We have great customers, and pride ourselves in providing the best customer satisfaction possible.  This business has given us opportunities to help weary travelers that are broken down far from home, contribute to local schools, charities, and athletics, and provide an investment for our future.  Of course it's a lot of hard work, but the things that are worth it usually are.....but what about ME?

ME!!!  Haha...I don't work on this part very often.  Let's see....I play volleyball on Monday nights with a great group of ladies, so that is a little bit of "me time" during October and November.  I try to go scrapbooking about every other month for a whole Saturday.  Of course, my scrapbooks are all about my kids...but it's still "me time" when they're not there and I get do to what I want to do.  To be honest, that's about all.  Sometimes I think that when you're a wife/mom/worker (whether at home or at a job) there is rarely any time LEFT in the day to have any "ME TIME."  Sure, there are things I would love to do...get a pedicure, facial, gel-nails; go for a walk; go shopping; read a book; enjoy an amazing meal at a nice restaurant...but why is there always GUILT that goes along with Mommy's ME time???  I don't really think that most Dad's feel guilty when they go golfing/hunting/etc.. - so why do Mom's?  I don't have the answer to that.  All I can do is try to keep doing my best at the Wife/Mom/Business part, and squeeze in the ME time when I can.  Sure, I'll probably still feel guilty if I spend the extra time and money on ME every once in a while - but it will be worth it, and will hopefully quiet the little voice that keeps asking "What about ME?".

1 comment:

  1. Becky - I think you speak for every young mother out there & I hear the echos in my own mind from days gone by! Keep up the good work & know that you're doing a GREAT job raising your family & maintaining the household & business! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete