Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Quality Time

I've often thought about the quality time (or lack there of) that I spend with my husband and children.  I am away from my kids from 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday, and I donate some of my time to sit on the BBBS board, and help with occasional fundraisers.  Other than that, I spend most of the remainder of my time with my kids.  I work with my husband every day - although we rarely see or talk to each other besides in passing, and he is home almost every night.  But how much of that is actually QUALITY time?  Mornings are crazy with the hustle and bustle of getting everyone up, dressed, fed, teeth brushed and out the door.  Evenings are crazy with fixing supper, sports, church, and homework.  So where does that quality time fit in on such busy days?  Well, I guess that depends how you define quality time.  It's supposed to be "un-interruped" one-on-one, face-to-face conversation....right? 

Well, I've found some peace in defining my own quality time for my family.  I'm not a morning person, so there's not much I can do to squeeze quality time in there.  But what I can do is talk to my children on the drive across town to school - instead of turning on the radio to drown everything out.  Evenings are still busy, but I use "homework time" as a good opportunity to snuggle into the recliner with both of my kids to read their daily library book.  And then, there is the very sacred bed-time.  Lullibies for Keely, and a quick review of the good and bad of the day with Braxton before kisses and hugs. 

James and I still have some work to do on squeezing in our "quality time" - since watching a television show together after the kids go to bed probably doesn't really count.  We both struggle with turning our brains off at night, so that's were most of our face-to-face conversation takes place.  It's usually about work, with occasional tid-bits about the kids....but at least we're talking.  Too bad we can't actually see each other since it's in the dark!

And, my favorite, WEEKENDS!!!!  I love spending our weekends visiting extended family, going to birthday parties, taking little trips to Salina, or the pumpkin patch, or the zoo, or the park....  It may not look like traditional "family quality time" because James usually isn't able to join us, but my kids and I have a blast!  And we always come home to wrestle around with Daddy when we're all done.  I'm so thankful for the Quality Time that God has blessed our family with.

No comments:

Post a Comment