Friday, October 8, 2010

Helping for Free

I worked in Mental Health for seven years, followed by Big Brothers Big Sisters for about 1 1/2 years.  I've always loved working with kids, and found myself really missing it now that James and I have owned the shop for about three years.   I decided to volunteer in Braxton's 1st grade classroom once a week, to not only help him and his teacher/classmates...but to also help me to not miss my old job(s) so much.  While I worked very hard at those old jobs, it was still definitely a "button" that kids/teens would sometimes "push" on me when they said that I was only there for the money.  Even after joking back at them about there not being much money involved, and that I worked there because I loved helping kids and families....it still kind of hurt.  As I walked away from Braxton's school yesterday, I was on such a "high" after helping....after "working" for FREE.  It felt great.  I wish Helping for Free could be my full-time job!

No comments:

Post a Comment